ABOUT MEADOWSIDE

There are 76 flats in total, ranging from studio apartments to superb four bedroom family flats.

Located in the prestigious conservation area Cambridge Park with Marble Hill park running down its complete western side, Meadowside is a wonderfully peaceful place to live. The beautiful and well maintained communal gardens have lawns that roll right down to 140m of the river tow-path – an ideal spot for a summer picnic, BBQ, or a glass of chilled Chablis after a game of tennis – yes, Meadowside has its own championship tennis court as well.

Meadowside is gated, adding to the feeling of security and serenity that pervades its whole atmosphere. The porter and gardeners keep the place looking spick and span supported by  volunteer gardening residents who are always looking for ways of improving the environment.

The freehold at Meadowside is owned by the majority of the lessees who are shareholders in  Meadowside Freehold Limited (MFL). MFL has a forward- looking Board of Directors, who, along with the managing agents, are responsible for its maintenance and ongoing development.

MEADOWSIDE OF YESTERDAY

Back in the 1860’s, the Cambridge Park estate which effectively ran from Marble Hill to Richmond Bridge was divided up into three smaller estates, Cambridge Park, Meadowbank and Meadow Side. Meadowside was a considerably larger property then, stretching right up to Richmond Road and the Rising Sun (now known as The Marble Hill).

Jeremiah and Henry Little, who could only be described as property developers, purchased the estate. This is when Meadowside roughly became the size it is today and was known as Meadowside Cottage.

In 1881 The Dowager Countess of Harberton and her daughter, the Hon. Esther Pomeroy, along with a full compliment of staff, occupied Meadowside Cottage. Up until 1909 the Revd. Rudd had lived at Meadowside, and unfortunately, after his death, his trustees forwarded a plan to completely develop the site. Fortunately their plan was rejected and the local council placed a number of restrictive covenants upon the property. Eventually a buyer was found but only after receiving £1,000 in compensation for these covenants.

In 1934 the house was finally demolished and the current block of flats was built, but the gardens were preserved and several features still remain.